For a teen to always have a nice smile and healthy teeth, good oral habits are a must and need to be started at a young age. If braces are worn or not, here are some important tips:
- Brush two times a day. Use an ADA Fluoride toothpaste to remove plaque. Plaque is the main culprit of tooth decay and gum disease. Best Family Dentist Near Me Daphne AL
- Floss every day to remove plaque from between the teeth and under the gumline. When plaque is not removed every day, it hardens into tartar-a hard yellow build-up. #downbythebay
- Limit sugar and starchy foods. Sticky snacks are the worst.
- Visit the dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups.
Having your teeth last a lifetime is great, and a clean mouth is an added bonus! Fresh breath and a nice-looking smile don’t hurt either!
Dental Issues Every Teen Should Know About
Dental problems can occur during the teen years. Staying informed about issues that effect oral health care will make your teens life so much easier. Best Family Dentist Near Me Daphne AL
- Orthodontics: Many pre-teens and teens will need braces to fix their crowded or crooked teeth. When the teeth do not fit together the correct way, they are harder to keep clean. This increases the chance of them being lost early and causes extra stress on the chewing muscles. #sweetwaterdentist An exam will determine whether teens need braces and exactly which type is best for them. If you are currently wearing braces, take extra care and clean your teeth.
- Mouth Guards: If playing sports are happening, a mouthguard is needed to protect your smile. This device usually will cover the upper teeth and can help protect against broken teeth, cutting lips or causing any damage to the mouth.
- Nutrition: What we eat plays a huge role in dental health. Sugars and starches are in a lot of snack foods and drinks. Everytime you eat or drink something that contains sugar or starches, your teeth will be attacked by acids for 20 minutes or more. Best Family Dentist Near Me Daphne AL